Fact Card is a series of posts summarising crowdsourcing and public decision making initiatives relevant to our project. Please post a comment or email us with any clarification.
The concept of Hukkatila initiated at the Peloton Innovation Camp in November 2011. Hukkatila is a 21st century real estate development company and the concept was awarded as the winner of the camp. Hukkatila develops business models to utilise empty buildings or spaces with infrequent usage.
How does it work?
The core operations for Hukkatila are (as presented at the Innovation Camp):
- Acting as an intermediary and communicating available spaces to the public
- Organising activities in temporarily/permanently empty spaces
- Looking for empty spaces and designing new activities/new usage for them
Hukkatila, citizens, local businesses, city of Helsinki (depending on the project/space)
- Hukkatila Fashion Hopping; pop-up fashion fair for upcoming fashion designers
- Saving Fastholma; campaign to renovate Fastholma villa in Herttoniemi for the citizens.
Heating is one of the largest sources of emission in Finland. Hukkatila creates new real estate business out of existing resources.
Some action in Fastholma (meetings, gardening, etc.). The city has given an initial ‘yes’ for turning it into a communal meeting place, however the building needs to be renovated and installing for example sewage is a big operation.